Sunday, August 19, 2007

Popular Jewish Baby Names

I recently undertook a really interesting exercise to find out what the most popular Jewish baby names are in the US today. Now, I recognize that “popular “will be either a positive or negative depending on you. To generalize, I think a lot of expectant parents are looking for unusual names but perhaps not too unusual.

As you can imagine it is difficult to come up with a conclusive list of popular Jewish baby names without scrolling through the birth announcements across thousands of local Jewish newspapers – something I don’t have time to do. I estimate that nearly 90,000 Jewish babies are born in the US each year. How do I come to that number? Well, according to the US Social Security Administration (SSA) approximately 4.2 million babies are born in the US each year and according to the Jewish Agency approximately 2.1% of the US population is Jewish. So 2.1%of 4.2 million is 88,200.

The (SSA) has a great webpage which gives the most popular baby names by birth year and decade. The results are fascinating when you compare the difference between male and female Jewish baby names. As you will see below you can find the top 10 Jewish baby boys names within the first 16 for of the whole US but you have to go through the top 50 before you find the same for Jewish baby girl names. Anyway, here are the top 10 Jewish baby names for boys and girls according to the SSA:

Boys Names
Girls Names
SSA rank

SSA rank
1 Jacob
4 Isabella
2 Michael
6 Abigail
3 Joshua
8 Hannah
4 Ethan
10 Samantha
5 Matthew
11 Elizabeth
6 Daniel
15 Sarah
11 Joseph
32 Jessica
13 David
33 Lily
15 Noah
49 Rachel
16 James
50 Gabriella





Share This Post

Digg This Add To Del.icio.us Add To Furl Add To Reddit Fav This With Technorati Add To Yahoo MyWeb Add To Newsvine Add To Google Bookmarks Add To Bloglines Add To Ask Add To Windows Live Add To Slashdot Stumble This

7 comments:

Unknown said...

How did you suddenly find Jewish names? You say it is too difficult, then you have them.

A time saving suggestion: search on distinctive jewish names for surnames that are highly likely to be jews. first names associated with these will be jewish.

Anna said...

It's really difficult... I'm jewish, my husband isn't. It's nearly impossible to find a name not too usual, especially when you have a really big family and many of your favorites are already taken...

Unknown said...

I like the name Jessica so much. It sounds a loyal, beautiful, loveable, wise person. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Jessica is "He sees". babynames

Anonymous said...

I had several beautiful child with several beutiful men.These are all gorgeous names. I came on here becuase Im expecting a girl. And the father is jewsh. So I wanted to compliment. That is all.

Anonymous said...

I am a hooker and I accidentaly had a child. I didnt want one and I wanted to shoot it but then I decided to keep it. I thought the father was Jewish but im not sure because he wasnt wearing a yamika. Anyway he was either jewish or Indian. But these are beautiful names and I will consider them for my baby girl or boy.

BOO ABORTION said...

OH MY GOD Same thing here Sunshine, I didn't want to hide what really happend to my son, so I decided to name him after his father, Matthew. He was Jewish,and I actually came on here for the names. Now he is 13 and living happily in Juvy. Gotta love those kids <3

Jacob said...

According to the recent research on Islamic baby names, It has been found that “Jacob” is the most popular name used world widely by the Muslim community. So Jacob is a most Popular names, It’s sounding many origin.